The history of the original building dates to 1617 when it was built as a church and convent. The building where the school is located is owned by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate in Jerusalem and the Middle East which established the school in 1953 to serve poor families in the Old City. The restoration project aimed to protect the architectural heritage, as well as to improve the physical environment, especially regarding the safety of the school classrooms and facilities, thus providing an improved, healthy learning environment.
The Shihabi family building located in al-Zahra Str. In East Jerusalem was last owned by the late Zuleikha Shihabi who was a renowned Palestinian women’s rights activist. It dates back to 1900-1920. This residence delineates a particular and important period in the social, cultural, economic and political development in Jerusalem. It has historic aesthetic, technological and documental value. After its restoration and adaptive reuse it will house the Edward Sa’eed Institute for Music, which is affiliated to Birzeit University.
The project is part of a late Ottoman building located in Bab Hutta used originally as a flour mill and stables for animals. This 19th century Ottoman space was restored and adapted to be utilized by al-Quds University as a computer centre, to serve the community of Bab Hutta, one of the most deprived neighborhoods in the Old City.
Separated by a wall from the main school building which was renovated in phase one, work on this building involved the complete rehabilitation of the building in addition to upgrading the old dilapidated infrastructure and rehabilitation of all networks. The buildings were linked during the project to facilitate use by the school.
This Ottoman building, located in Haret Al-Sa’diyya, is used as a girls' preliminary school. Restoration involved complete rehabilitation of the classrooms, courtyards, and roofs. Exterior façades were re-pointed and interior walls were re-plastered, using traditional material. The old ancient infrastructure was upgraded while sewage, water, electrical, and rain drainage networks were rehabilitated.
The kindergarten was established by al-Aqsa Charitable Society and is located in an Ottoman period historic building at Aqabet al Tikkiyya. The kindergarten consists of two floors: the ground floor has three classrooms and the administration office while
Adaptive Reuse: The aim of conservation should be the daily utilization of historic buildings since this integrates the structures into the community and is one of the best methods to protect it against physical damage. Some creative solutions have been found for adaptive reuse of neglected buildings by restoring the structure to use through providing modern facilities while protecting the historic and architectural features.
Dar al-Aytam al-Islamiya (Industrial & Academic School) The comprehensive restoration of the 600-year-old Mamluk and Ottoman complex was undertaken in six phases beginning in 1999; it was completed in 2004. The $3.5 million project, financed by private donations raised during the Sharja festival in 1998, and by grants from the Islamic Development Bank and from Welfare’s own resources. Project implementation was based on the results of extensive technical surveys, a historic analysis study and needs assessment study.
The building is located on Tariq Bab al-Silsileh, and dates from the Mamluk period. The school itself consists of four floors, of which the top floor is occupied by a family that shares the street entrance with the school. The school, which serves about 1